Student Visa Canada – What You Need to Study in Canada

When you choose to study abroad in Canada, a student visa is typically required. A student visa allows a foreign student to enter Canada as a student. On arrival, a study permit is issued to the student to study full-time at a recognized institution in Canada. To be eligible, the student must be enrolled in a program listed under IRCC’s Designated Learning Institution (DLI) list. The student must apply for a visa before their travels and must have all documents gathered before applying.

It’s important to note, that depending on where you travel from, your requirements may be slightly different. In addition, guidelines and requirements keep changing from time to time. For these reasons, we suggest you stay up to date. You can do this with Suit-U Travels visa consultant services.

We know this process may seem overwhelming, however Suit-U Travels is here to offer support with every step. On that note, let’s see what types of documents are needed to obtain a Canadian student visa.

Note: A study permit is not a visa. You must also obtain a temporary resident visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA).

Document 1: Letter of acceptance (LOA)

If you still have to choose your program and school, it’s time to do it. Once you have selected your program, your school must send you an official letter of acceptance. You must include the original LOA with your student visa application.

Students who will study in Québec must also apply for a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (Certificate of Acceptance to Québec, CAQ). Most temporary foreign workers and students who intend to reside in Québec require a CAQ.

Document 2: Proof of identity

You must submit a valid passport or travel document, as well as two recent passport-size photos. Please include your name and date of birth on the back of both photos. Also, you should have a minimum of one blank page in your passport (for your student visa to go on).

If you have family members traveling to Canada with you, each member is also required to submit the above documents. These documents must allow you and your family to return to your home country.

Document 3: Purpose of visit

This is your opportunity to share why you wish you come to Canada: to enhance your education. You may need to share certain details within this step, such as your past education, experience, career plans and progression, and a language proficiency test. Accepted language tests include IELTS and TOEFL.

Document 4: Proof of financial support

You must prove you have the financial capacity to afford your international studies in Canada. You can prove your funds with:

Letter of support from parents, other family members, or your school
Bank statements for the past four months
Balance certificates
Proof of a set-up Nigeria bank account in your name
Documentation of a student loan (including bank loan or school scholarship)
Source of income of the sponsor

Document 5: Letter of explanation

The intention of this letter is for the receiver to understand your purpose or study plan. It’s an opportunity to explain why it is you want to study in Canada and what makes you a great candidate. It’s important to acknowledge the responsibilities of an international student as well. If you have a gap in your studies, low grades, or have chosen a different program than your previous area of education, this is the document through which you can explain and give a rationale to the visa officer.

Document 6: Travel history

You must share both your and your parents’ travel history outside your country of residence.

Document 7: Ties to home country

Though you won’t need to attach a separate document, you’ll need to fill out this section in the study permit application. Here, you must show your economic and emotional incentive to return to your home country after the completion of your studies. Think of things like family, any property you own or rent, or similar ties.

Personal Documents:

Additional documents are dependent on the requirements of your country. Depending on your home country, you may have to provide the following:

Police Clearance
Detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Birth Certificate
Marriage Certificate (if applicable)

Important Note: Are any of your required documents not written in English? You’ll need to include a full translation of those documents, as well as the name and contact information of your translator.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.